When I reinstall Windows, I first install some hotfixes I downloaded before and etched on a CD. I install a firewall and an antivirus, THEN i connect the internet to update Windows…
What I use, everything free and updates free as well :
- Firewall : http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm
- Antivirus : http://www.free-av.com/ ou http://www.free-av.de/
- Ad remover : http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
- Spy remover : http://www.safer-networking.org/fr/index.html
- XP tweaker : http://www.xp-antispy.org/
- Optimize Windows : http://telechargement.zebulon.fr/14-Optimisation-Windows-3.04.html
Otherwise, I also use various tools :
- Explorer replacement : http://www.ghisler.com/
- Some useful plugins : http://www.totalcmd.net/
- Picture manager : http://www.irfanview.com/
- Web browser (w/ popup blocker) : http://www.opera.com/
And suddetly, my PC feels alot better !
first I’d like to say that I’m using b2Evolution since a month or so and I’m very happy with it. I’m learning a lot (just started to build my website in July this year) and have a lot of fun!
I’ve been confronted to the problem of backup for a long time now, not the data part (easy), but the whole application part, to avoid re-installing from scratch when changing HDD or having a virus etc…
I used to use norton ghost, which allows to pack the executables on a simple 3.5 floppy disk, and which was always robust, but I gave up recently, because it could not recognize a second HDD or my DVD burner, nor write to / restore from NTFS partitions.
I now use Acronis True Image [url]http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/[/url], and I’m VERY happy at it. It does not need a bootup floppy or CD (you can make one if you wish), as it
1) can back up without leaving windows
2) for restore of your OS partition, you will still need to reboot, but can load up the acronis programm right after your bios starts
It’s really a great piece of software, you can backup your whole partition to another HDD or partition, it will compress the files, not backup unecessary files (such as the page file) and even do incremental backups.
If you computer crashes tomorrow, you just need to restore the partition in one go… all your apps will be back.
well, the next time you install win xp, apart of all that you did, you must run services.msc and stop the “messenger” service. Is a lame peer to peer way of messaging, and allow to virus to infect your pc.
Against viruses I use AVG, where version 6 is also free (and leightweight). - though Kaspersky AV should be probably better and more powerful. Like you say, brain (paranoia/taking care) is the best protection anyway.
boot windows in a sandbox… ;-)
I use then
Privoxy ( junkbuster reburn GPL )
+ Proxomodo ( proxomitron… free )
+ tiny II ( 2.0.15a )… tiny !
+ Packets viewer 2006
Form is loading...